Saturday, May 06, 2006

Gerard Bertrand Classic Fitou 2002


Some of you may have read my review of the white Villemajou Blanc which was given to me by the lovely people at Explore Wine (www.explorewine.co.uk) and having had it, I then saw for £5 in ASDA (www.asda.com) this little beauty. Bertrand for the uninitiated used to be a rugby international, before becoming a wine maker and is trying to build a brand to rival the names of Guigal, Chapoutier and Jaboulet from the Rhone, in his own back yard - the Languedoc. This wine is mahogany coloured and gives of aromas of cherries, raspberries, almonds and hints of spice and on the palate it's a fairly robust wine - as you'd expect from a Fitou, but really pretty drinkable considering. Erring towards being full bodied, it doesn't quite make it, but the lovely complexity of leather, strawberry and plum flavours draw out to a long finish. I don't think I would bother to age this it all, it's ready for drinking right now, and if you like this sort of thing this is well worth checking out - and if you shop regularly in Asda, then I reckon it's bound to be on special offer sooner or later! Give it a whirl!

No comments: