Friday, May 12, 2006

Witney Wine Fair Part 3

Just a short section today on the sparkling wines, I deliberately didn't taste the Cloudy Bay Pelorous on offer having drunk it previously, which left Bollinger Special Cuvee NV Champagne, which to my mind tasted certainly better than the other NV Champagnes I've tasted and was more on a par with the vintage offerings I've had, a wine with beautifully creamy bubbles with a yeasty, biscuity finesse that stood out - a memorable drink and I think pretty reasonable at £31 a bottle. The other Champagne I tasted was Gosset Grande Millesime 1999, 56% Chardonnay and 44% Pinot Noir this excelled in balance, poise and refinement with gentle elements of dried fruits and toast giving it a taste in an altogether different class at £44.95 this is far from cheap but if I had that money to spend on wine then this might well be up there. It's not a marque that I had heard of previously, despite Champagne being one of the wine regions I have visited, but it has certainly left it's mark and is one I will look out for in the future. Next up - the reds!!

No comments: