Wednesday, November 01, 2006

To blog or not to blog

A lot has been written by established wine writers over the past few months on the rise of wine blogs, and the fact that more and more people are doing - most comments have not been complimentory. However in our defence - when on earth did we ask these people to read them, when did we inflict ourselves on them? Do I detect that the odd writer is concerned that if people spend their time reading blogs on the internet, they're less likely to buy their books and the newspapers in which they write?
I know my writing is not up to the standard of the "establishment" the problem is that they assume I'm trying to - when in fact all I'm interested in is writing for my own pleasure and keeping a record of my drinking - far more searchable that a note book! If other people read what I write, well that's great - if they enjoy it - excellent - even better. If they come back that is really great and the best thing is if it's ever useful - but none of these is the reason behind it - as with most blogs the reason is self gratification. If a wine writer wants to take a pop - let them - because bloggers are not competition - unless is means a writer will actually have to work for his money in order to keep things going. Enough said on that - rant over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, I share your thoughts !

Greetings from a Belgian collegue wine amateur !