Friday, November 17, 2006

Wine of the Year 2006

And so my wine of the year, well there were a few contenders, from Margaret River the fantastic Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon, from St. Chinian Les Vielles Vignes from Domaine Maurel Fonsalade and Le Vin Maghani from Domaine Canet-Valette. From Bordeaux Chateau La Tour Figeac '98, from Portugal Herdade do Esporao but after much deliberation I decided to go with another Australian Cabernet, this one from Coonawarra made by Holllick and at about £11 the cheapest on the shortlist - which was one reason for choosing it. A wine of this quality, depth, structure, balance and complexity for as little as that is a great achievment - the Esporao certainly came close but the Hollick won out in the end. La Tour Figeac may have been the finest wine I tasted, quite possibly the most delicious - but I can have 2 bottles of the Hollick for the same price and is almost certainly not as widely available.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading about your wine of the year I got curious and wanted to see if I could find it here in California. Seems to be a little hard to get a hold of but I did find a store that carries the Hollick Ravenswood, Coonawarra, 1999. Is this the vintage you're referring to or did you have a more recent?

timmyc said...

Actually it was the 2002 plain Hollick CS, 1999 was not quite such a good year - however the Ravenswood is the top cuvee from Hollick - so it ought to be very good indeed, though it will be more expensive - but I suspect it will definately be worth it - and the extra time it's had to develop in bottle ought to mean it really is excellent - I'd be tempted to give it a go - if you do then please let me know what you thought.